1. AMISH – Awareness Movement for Injuries to the Spine and Head
What is Project AMISH?
Project AMISH is a non-profit campaign to spread awareness about head and spine injuries. Especially, at the workplace, public places and roads. This project proposes to inform common public about the importance of safety at the workplace, equip them with the knowledge to handle such injuries and sensitize them about the need to enable individuals with such injuries back to the mainstream.
Background of the problem
Road traffic accidents, fall from height and at work place accidents seem to be the commonest cause of such injuries. India unfortunately ranks first in the world for these injuries.
Every 5 min someone dies in our roads and this will be 3 per minute by 2020. We will also have the highest number of vehicles on our roads beating USA by 2050. 80% of these accidents happen to the low income group of which 90 % are men between the age group of 18-40. The average cost of treating a head or spine injury could be several lakhs which only leaves them disabled as there is NO permanent cure for most severe injuries. If one member of the family is disabled from an injury it leaves the whole family paralysed and the cost indirectly affects the economy of the country by loss of productivity.
What can you do?
- Though many people are fighting for the cause by implementing safety rules and regulations on our roads and work place we feel that there is a big lacunae for people to understand the seriousness of the problem.
- The reason we are giving importance to head and spine injuries is because these are the most severe injuries that a mankind can suffer.
- And the most important thing is this is totally PREVENTABLE by simple measures like education and awareness. This forms the mission of AMISH.
- Help us spread the news and join for the good cause. If you had family or friends who have been affected with spine or brain injury here is your chance to make sure that some other loved one does not suffer the same way.
- This project was launched in 2014 and has done severe activities of use to the public. Please watch this video to view the activities of AMISH.